Carpenter - Structural Trades Technician II
- Requisition #: 21000066
- Job Schedule: Full-time
- Location: Hershey, PA
Founded by Milton S. and Catherine Hershey, Milton Hershey School (MHS) is a home and school for almost 1,900 students from lower income. Working at MHS is much more than a job. Each employee helps shape the lives of the students we serve and, every position at the school is designed to help our students thrive on campus and beyond. If that sounds fulfilling to you, MHS may be the perfect place for your next career move.
MHS is seeking a full-time Carpenter-Structural Trades Technician II to join the team. The technician should have proficiency in all structural trade disciplines with a primary focus on carpentry. Roofing, painting, masonry, flooring and general building maintenance are also required. Also, the technician must demonstrate journeyman level knowledge by achieving a test score of at least 70% on a written examination and successful completion of a practical exercise.
The technicians are required to perform corrective, proactive and preventive maintenance work orders pertinent to all campus facility equipment & infrastructure. Some of the responsibilities include:
Install, repair, maintain and perform corrective, preventive, and proactive maintenance and inspections on the following items related to the Carpentry trade:
- Doors and hardware including electronic latch, panic hardware, and various locking mechanism.
- Windows and hardware including security screens and various locking mechanism.
- Floors including sub-flooring and hardwood flooring.
- Ceilings and wall partitions including wood, metal, drywall and bathroom.
- Counter tops including Formica, Corian or Surrell.
- Design and construct cabinetry and casework.
- Experience reading blue prints, layouts and ordering supplies.
- Demonstrated experience with renovations/remolding of commercial and residential.
WORK SCHEDULE: Full-time Monday – Friday 7:00 am – 3:30 pm. A full-time schedule shall consist of forty (40) hours of scheduled work with a minimum of two (2) days off. Available to work a flexible schedule with shifts listed below based on the needs of the school:
- 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- 3:30 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.
- 11:00 p.m. - 7:30 a.m.
- 4-10 hours shifts
Bargaining unit position with OPS-464. The starting hourly rate is $29.01 (plus any shift differential) and after the probationary period (1 year) the salary will be increased.Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent required.
- Minimum 5 years of current experience in commercial and residential carpentry and general knowledge specific to facilities maintenance.
- Or equal, 2 years of trade school and 3 years current experience in commercial and residential carpentry and general knowledge specific to facilities maintenance.
- Ability to work with large equipment.
- Valid PA Driver’s License (CDL Preferred, Class B) in good standing.
- Asbestos Awareness Training preferred.
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills, particularly the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with multiple competing demands and ongoing change.
- Computer skills including the use of Microsoft applications (word, outlook email, etc.), internet and other systems
- Candidates must demonstrate a high degree of integrity, as all MHS staff are considered to be role models for MHS students
- Candidates should be willing to actively engage with students beyond the scope of their job responsibilities.