Part-Time Water Safety Instructor
- Requisition #: 21000070
- Job Schedule: Part-time
- Location: Hershey, PA
Milton Hershey School (MHS) is currently seeking a year-round part-time Water Safety Instructor (WSI) to work at MHS’s 3 indoor pools and the summer outdoor aquatic center. The K-12 Aquatics Water Safety Instructor (WSI) is responsible for ensuring all MHS students master the skill of swimming, prior to their high school graduation while maintaining a safe and healthy learning environment through constant surveillance of those in the pool areas and by immediately addressing and resolving concerns in a constructive manner.
Under the supervision of the Aquatics Manager, the WSI plans, organizes and provides quality swimming and water safety instruction to the Senior Division students (grades 9 – 12) at MHS’s Spartan Pool during learn to swim classes. The WSI also provides instruction under the supervision of PE teachers during the school day in PE classes. Responsibilities include:
- Planning and organizing class teaching outlines, methods and goals that support the general teaching outlines provided by the Aquatics Manager / Assistant Aquatics Manager & the American Red Cross Swimming Program.
- Providing a high level of quality instruction for all students by designing and implementing appropriate classes for the swimming level being taught.
- Establishing positive relationships with Houseparents of class students helping them understand swimming developments and achievements.
- Communicating regularly with PE teachers to identify students needing swim lessons.
- Enforcing pool safety standards and facility operational rules for all individuals using the facility.
- Completing and submitting records and documentation of completed lessons to the Aquatics Manager and the American Red Cross.
- Working with the Aquatics Manager to keep accurate records of students who pass the Deep Water Test.
- Attending staff meetings and in-service trainings.
- Completing additional duties as needed.
- Minimum of HS diploma or GED.
- Must be at least the age of 18.
- Successful experience as a Water Safety Instructor.
- Red Cross certified in Water Safety Instruction.
- Lifeguard certified preferred.
- First Aid and CPR/AED certified for the Professional Rescuer Certification.
- Excellent interpersonal skills working with students, as well as adults.
- Demonstrated high standards of professionalism, attentiveness, skill proficiency, supervision, customer service and leadership.
- Must demonstrate a high degree of integrity as all MHS staff are considered to be role models for students.