Middle School 5th Grade ELA/Social Studies Teacher
- Requisition #: 21000072
- Job Schedule: Full-time
- Location: Hershey, PA
Milton Hershey School (MHS) is seeking a dynamic Middle School 5th grade ELA/Social Studies Teacher. This course develops students’ critical thinking in geography, history, civics, and economics, through a rich literacy framework that intentionally integrates English and Language Arts (ELA). It is anticipated that instruction will be delivered in person, but there may be times when virtual instruction is required due to extenuating circumstances.
MHS’s Middle School serves over 700 lower-income students enrolled in 5th through 8th grade. MHS strives to provide small class sizes (average of 1/15 – 18) and well-resourced classrooms which includes state-of-the-art technology for students and faculty.
The Middle School 5th grade ELA/ Social Studies Social Teacher will be responsible for providing high quality instruction as it aligns with the PA Core Standards and Common Core Standards and C3 Framework so students can reach their full capability. MHS Teachers are dedicated to ensuring students are at or above grade level as evaluated by national and state standards. They plan, prepare, and deliver engaging, meaningful and rigorous lessons. Additionally, they create and analyze formative and summative assessments to differentiate instruction, design programming, and accommodate individual student and whole group needs. This position entails extensive data utilization including the ability to analyze, interpret and apply the information to drive achievement. MHS faculty have a deep commitment to remediating students to perform well on their grade level assignments.
Teachers collaborate extensively with fellow faculty and other MHS staff to ensure a whole child approach is taken to student development. In addition to the core academic curriculum, MHS Teachers are responsible for supporting School initiatives such as social & emotional learning, and wellness. MHS teachers are required to schedule and complete an additional duty to their teaching schedules.Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Elementary or Middle School Education. Advanced degree a plus.
- Certified in 5th Grade Education (Elementary Education K-6 or Grades 4-8) with a strong background in English Language Arts, Reading, and/or Special Education.
- Demonstrated successful teaching experience of Social Studies with a literacy rich approach.
- Experience working with diverse students from financial & social need preferred.
- Demonstrated success in creating engaging, rigorous and relevant learning experiences for a diverse student population.
- Demonstrated success utilizing data to drive classroom instruction and develop instructional plans and curriculum.
- Exceptional skills in behavior management are required.
- Demonstrated skills in applying current trends in education including utilizing technology in the classroom, including 21st century learning skills.
- Demonstrated skills in differentiating instruction and collaborating with learning support and fellow faculty in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated skills in using creative teaching strategies to increase student’s ability to think critically.
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills are required.
- Must demonstrate a high degree of integrity as all MHS staff are considered to be role models for MHS students.
- MHS desires candidates who are “all in” and are interested in actively engaging with students beyond the classroom in a variety of extra-curricular opportunities.
- Coaching experience a plus.